Hydraulics Online – Supplying you with Sun Hydraulics and Sun Hydraulic screw-in hydraulic cartridge valves, manifolds and other Sun Hydraulics equipment and components.
Sun Hydraulics is a leading designer and manufacturer of high performance screw-in hydraulic cartridge valves and manifolds which control force, speed and motion as integral components in fluid power systems for industrial and mobile appilcations.
Sun’s unique two-piece, floating construction ensures cartridge functionality and reliability. Standard manifolds are offered in nearly limitless variety and custom manifolds can be designed to meet specific customer requirements.
Cartridge products are available in up to 5 sizes (capacities), are capable of handling flows up to 400 gallons per minute, and operate at pressures up to 5,000 pounds per square inch.
Because of their unique two-piece, floating style construction, Sun Hydraulics cartridges are forgiving of cavity manufacturing variances and provide maximum valve performance with guaranteed valve-to-valve repeatability.
- Cavity Plugs: Cavity plugs allow for the removal of cartridge valves from a circuit while still maintaining the integrity of the hydraulic system. This is often desirable when a system needs flushing following repairs, component replacements or to change an operational function within the circuit. Cavity plugs are available in all frame sizes and are offered in a variety of styles: 2 port cavities, 3 port cavities, 4 port cavities (external locating shoulder), 4 port cavities (internal locating shoulder) and 6 port cavities.
- Check Valves: Sun Hydraulics check valves feature high flow capacity relative to a small physical size. Sun check cartridges can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They are available with free flow from port 1 to port 2 or port 2 to port 1, are available in three port versions with port 3 blocked, are capable of operating at pressures up to 5000 psi (350 bar) and are available with flow capacities up to 160 gpm (600 L/min.)
- Directional–Control Cartridges: Sun Hydraulics provides a variety of solenoid and non-solenoid directional control cartridges that include 2-, 3- and 4-way configurations. Sun directional control cartridges can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. Pilot-operated and direct acting 2-way and 3-way cartridges are available that use the same cavity, six-port pilot operated cartridges and high-pressure 2-way solenoid operated poppet valves with flow capacities up to 120 gpm (480 L/min.) also available.
- Directional Cartridges; DP**, DR**, DV**
- Electro-Proportional Cartridges: Sun offers a variety of electro-proportionally controlled products, comprised of both direct-acting and pilot operated versions. The direct-acting versions consist of proportional flow control, reducing/relieving and the T-8A pilot stage relief models. This pilot stage relief can be directly integrated into a wide variety of mainstage elements to form the basis of the pilot operated relief and reducing product families; Relief, Reducing, Reducing/Relieving, Flow Control
- Flow Control Cartridges: Sun Hydraulics offers 2-, 3- and 4-port flow control cartridges for metering and flow regulation. Sun flow control options include: Electro-proportional throttle valves, needle valves with or without free flow check, fully adjustable needle valves, pressure compensated valves, 3- and 4-port priority flow controls.
- Flow Divider: Sun Hydraulics flow divider and flow divider/combiner cartridges are sliding spool devices that are used to split or combine flow in a variety of applications. Sun flow divider and flow divider/combiner cartridges can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They offer accurate divisional and combining accuracy in a small size, and high flow capacity relative to size, are available in a synchronizing version for bi-directional static error correction and operate at pressures up to 5000 psi (350 bar).
- Load Control Valve, Load Reactive: Sun’s load reactive, load control cartridges complement other existing motion control products, sharing the same cavities as CB**, CA** and CW** counterbalance valves. They feature low leakage with excellent modulation characteristics, are available in adjustable and fixed setting versions, can be installed directly into a cavity machined in an actuator housing and are available as 3 Port, Non-Vented / 3 Port, Non-Vented, Fixed Setting / 4 Port, Vented / 4 Port, Vented, Fixed Setting
- Logic Element: Sun Hydraulics offers a broad variety of balanced and unbalanced logic switching cartridges that can be used for a variety of directional control applications. Logic modulating cartridges for pressure and flow control applications are also offered. Sun logic cartridges can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They offer almost unlimited flexibility in logic circuit design and can be remotely piloted using other Sun pilot products. Versions include those that accept a Sun pilot control directly into the hex end of the logic cartridge for integrated pilot control and sealed pilot versions to prevent leakage between pilot and work ports.
- Pilot-to-Open Check: Sun Hydraulics’ pilot-to-open check cartridges are non-modulating, on-off devices used for holding a load or actuator in position. Sun pilot-to-open check cartridges can be directly integrated into your actuator or applied using manifolds with many mounting options. They offer protection against hose breaks, positively lock pressurized loads, are available in non-vented (3-port) and vented (3- and 4-port) versions, and are physically interchangeable with counterbalance cartridges (same number of ports, same cavities, same flow path for a given frame size).
- Pilot Control – Directional: Sun Hydraulics offers many small solenoid and non-solenoid pilot valves that can be used to provide directional pilot control. Pilot controls that feature a T-8A cavity can also be directly installed into the hex end of many of Sun’s pilot operated and ventable cartridges to provide integrated pilot control. Pilot offerings include: 2-way and 3-way 5000 psi (350 bar) solenoid cartridges, hydraulically operated 2-positon, 2-way and 2-position, 3-way pilot cartridges, air piloted 2-position, 2-way and 2-position, 3-way pilot controls and manually operated, 2-position, 2-way, intermittent pilot control.
- Pilot Control – Flow Control
- Pilot Control – Relief
- Reducing Cartridges: Sun Hydraulics reducing cartridges are available in different versions and can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They are functionally interchangeable with reducing/relieving cartridges (same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size), are available in five sizes, flow rates up to 80 gpm (320 L/min.), and are fully adjustable up to and including 4500 psi (315 bar) with inlet pressures up to 5000 psi (350 bar) (except air piloted versions).
- Reducing/Relieving: Sun Hydraulics reducing/relieving cartridges are available in different versions and can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They are functionally interchangeable with one another (same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size), are available in five sizes, flow rates up to 80 gpm (320 L/min.), are fully adjustable up to and including 4500 psi (315 bar) with inlet pressures up to 5000 psi (350 bar) (except air piloted versions) and are offered in both three- and four-port configurations
- Relief: Sun Hydraulics offers many different pressure limiting and pressure regulating relief cartridges that can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They are available in 2-, 3- and 4-ports and electro-proportional options, are functionally interchangeable (except pilot only versions) with valves with the same number of ports (same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size), are available in five sizes, flow rates up to 200 gpm (800 L/min.). Versions are available with an integral pilot control cavity that accepts Sun’s T-8A pilot pressure controls and they are ully adjustable up to and including 5000 psi (350 bar) (6000 psi (420 bar) intermittent) (except air piloted versions).
- Relief – After Check: The relief-after-check cartridge is a hybrid valve incorporating a direct-acting relief tee’d in after a check function. The check valve flow is from the inlet (port 2) to the system port (port1). When the pressure in the system (port 1) reaches the relief valve setting, the valve starts to open to tank (port 3), throttling flow to limit the pressure rise. These valves are smooth and quiet, essentially zero-leak, dirt-tolerant, immune to silting and are very fast.
- Relief – Before Check
- Sequence: Sun Hydraulics’ sequence cartridges are similar to relief cartridges except the pilot is separately drained so that valve setting is not affected by pressure in the outlet port. Sun sequence cartridges can be conveniently applied using many mounting options. They are functionally interchangeable with one another (same flow path, same cavity for a given frame size), are offered in five sizes with flow rates up to 120 gpm (480 L/min.) and are fully adjustable over a wide range of operating pressures up to and including 5000 psi (350 bar) (6000 psi (420 bar) intermittent) (except air piloted versions)
- Shuttle Valve: Sun Hydraulics offers a variety of two-, three- and four-port shuttle cartridges. All shuttle cartridges operate at pressures up to 5000 psi (350 bar). Available as single ball shuttles with or without an external port in the hex of the cartridge, back-to-back check cartridges with or without an external port in the hex of the cartridge, with low side (hot oil) shuttles for hydrostatic transmissions, high side blocked centre shuttles, high side spring offset 2-position, 2-way shuttles
- Shuttle Valve, Insert Style
- Solenoid Operated: Sun solenoid cartridge are offered in full flow or pilot flow versions. Full flow versions are available in 2-way, 3-way and 4-way functions and pilot cartridges are available in 2-way and 3-way functions. Full flow cartridge feature industrial grade solenoids and pilot catridge solenoids are rated for high pressure, no leakage operation.
Sun offers line mount, motor mount, sandwich and subplate manifolds that are all available in a choice of aluminum (3000 psi/210 bar) or ductile iron (5000 psi/350 bar). Port choices include threaded and code 61 and code 62 flanges. In addition to standard manifolds, Sun designs and manufactures custom manifolds for application specific requirements.
- Line Mount - Sun offers more than 300 single and multiple cavity standard line mount manifolds that are each available in a choice of aluminum (3000 psi/210 bar) or ductile iron (5000 psi/350 bar). Ports include NPTF, SAE, BSPP and Code 61 and Code 62 flanges
- Motor Mount - Sun Hydraulics manufactures a broad variety of pressure control, flow control and load control manifolds with mounting configurations that match the bolt patterns on many commercially available hydraulic motors, including, but not limited to: Eaton/Char-Lynn, Danfoss, Staffa, HPI, White, and TRW Ross. All motor mount manifolds are available in a choice of aluminum (3000 psi/210 bar) or ductile iron (5000 psi/350 bar).
- Sandwich - Sun offers more non-solenoid sandwich functions in interface sizes ISO 02 through ISO 08 than any other manufacturer of sandwich valves. All sandwiches are offered in a choice of aluminum (3000 psi/210 bar) or ductile iron (5000 psi/350 bar). Many unique functions are available to solve tough circuit problems.
- Subplates - Sun subplates are available in ISO 03 through ISO 08 interfaces and each is offered in a choice of aluminum (3000 psi/210bar) or ductile iron (5000 psi/210 bar). Subplates are offered with side porting, rear porting or side porting with gasket mount tank ports.
STANDARD VALVE PACKAGES
Sun has developed a selection of assemblies incorporating commonly used hydraulic functions. These assemblies typically include two or more different cartridges integrated into a variety of mounting options. A single part number is built during the option selection process allowing for convenient ordering.
CUSTOM VALVE PACKAGES
Sun Hydraulics manufactures custom engineered valve packages or “valvepaks”, comprising of standard screw-in cartridge valves housed in a custom manifold. Once a customer’s hydraulic circuit has been developed, it is incorporated into a single, custom manifold designed to fit into a defined location. Benefits to customers using Sun’s valvepak solutions include order simplification, reduced assembly time, and cost, and consolidation of the hydraulic control system.